Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Creation of a gaming board

So this past week I decided to create a game board. Running with a bunch of ideas in my head I went with Kev and Pat to the local home depot to pick up supplies. Here is what we got

-8x4 section of Oak wood board (1 1/4" thick)
-Huge bucket of sand textured white paint (cannot be mixed with a color apparently...cough cough horrible service cough)
-1 light grey spray primer
-2 dark grey spray primer
-2 matte sealant spray bottles
-3 paint rollers
-1 Small Bucket of light grey paint

The creation of the board goes as follows.

After having the guy at Home Depot cut the board up into four 2x4 sections we set out to priming them with the light grey primer. After this week set out to covering the thing in the textured paint. We originally tried rolling our paint rollers in the paint pan that was filled with the textured paint. This did not really work out too well because the textured paint was about as thick as moist hummus.
We then decided to just dump the paint on each section and spread it around and create the uniform texture with the rollers. This proved successful!

After a single day's worth of drying I set out to applying another layer of this paint to ensure that there was a god thick layer on the board.

After I let it dry for another day I noticed that the texture paint was very brittle. I assume this has to do with the 1 week curing period mentioned on the bucket. Understanding that it would strengthen over time, I set out to bring some color to this "winter-wonder-land-board."

My girlfriend and I then sat down for 30 minutes spray priming a the darker grey primer over the boards. After letting it dry for about 2 hours I was still surprised at how black this dark grey was: I thought I had mistakenly gotten the incorrect primer (which I might have). After letting it dry for one whole day I noticed it was starting to get increasingly more grey. This probably has to do with the fact that drying in my 30* Fahrenheit garage was less than a bright idea. But either way, the board was ready for the next step.

Unfortunately, I still noticed how damn brittle the texture paint was. Even upon light contact and rubbing it would crackle and fall off. I then decided that the board was not fit to have the lighter grey dry brushed over it; there would simply be too much damage. I then tested out the matte sealant to see if it would solve my problem. I sprayed it on a corner of one of the boards and let it dry for its allotted 15 minute dry time.

Upon returning I noticed the matte sprayed corner of the board was incredibly black. Bought upon touching it, I noticed how much tougher it was. I no longer could interact directly with the textured paint below easily, so therefore it would not chip. I capatalized on this fact instantly and sprayed the mate sealant on all four board sections.

Here are some pictures of the progress that show the effect of the matte sealant on the color of the board and its look (at the same time while increasing its durability).

Photobucket

As you can see, the matte sealed sections here are much darker. Even the one board on the far left that had already been drying for about 2 hours.

Closer look at the two board sections.
Photobucket

The oh-not-so-matte sealant after two hours of drying to test its looks and durability.
Photobucket

As of posting this I have already attempted to dry brush one of the board sections as a prototype for the rest of the board. It is looking mighty fine and actually matches the color of some of the cover and scenery we have lying around. PERFECT.

Tomorrow I will finish off the dry brushing, buy some more sealant to ensure MAXIMUM protection, and then post some WIP pictures.

All in all, a wonderful hobby experience! I hope you enjoyed my stream of consciousness write-out.

-Alex of Terranforge

3 comments:

sovietspace said...

Making a terrain board is always a fairly big undertaking, good effort mate!

Kevin said...

Again, there is a difference between horrible service and not physically being able to mix the paint in that container in their machine. Regardless, it makes sense that the paint was brittle. You're effectively trying to adhere sand to sand. One coat probably wouldn't have caused.the amount of trouble you described.

For the matter sealer, are you sure you shook it well enough? THAT much discoloration seems odd to me. Meh, the drybrush should fix it up colorwise anyhow. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Dictator said...

I was not the only one who shook it this time. Both my brother mikey and I took turns. But yeah... that is what happens after a few hours of drying. I assume this is why this all happened.

1.The primer was actually a black primer, it sprayed black.

2. After drying it became more opaque and let light hit the previous white layer below it and caused the primer to look more grey.

3. The then sprayed on sealant then deflected any light going to the bottom most white layer and showed the primers true color. Black.

That is how I reasoned it to myself after I saw what was happening.


Pat got the same paint and had stuff mixed in it at lowes, so I thought maybe home depot would provide a similar service as its competitor!

Working some more on it today, get this thing done!